Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Random Joys

I started off thinking I'd do a feeling sorry for myself post, I decided against it. 

Yes, I've had some random intense pain with no explanation. 

Yes, my husband is in NYC enjoying the sites, attending a conference while I'm here in the trenches. 

 Yes, I'm feeling a bit cramped in our apartment after four months in a virtual palace (for us).

Yes, I feel like my body can't keep up with what my heart wants to do.

But Miss Mopey Pants stops there.

Although I'm really missing Israel right now, if nothing else but for the constant sunshine, there are so many moments of beauty to capture, I can't keep up!! 

Just a smattering of things I'm sopping up like bread in the stew, heck, I'm licking the bowl clean:

With Jacob back at ECDC for a few days a week, Ceci and I have had some concentrated Mama-daughter time. 

Girlfriend's got it: 

The joy bug, the beauty addiction, the high on life, the THANK GOD I"M ALIVEitis.


Our mornings after breakfast often consist of hiding under blanket forts, laughing our tushies off, dancing (my workout of choice), playing instruments, reading (another Haley bibliophile), and climbing playground equipment like she's a 4 year old.
Climbing stats:
 Ladder?  Check
Rock wall?   Check
Arched ladder(s)?  Check
Up the slide?  Check
Caterpillary thingamajig?  Check
Hanging on the monkey bars and doing leg lifts?  Check


I honestly could just observe her for hours at a time, watching those brain wrinkles a' formin' as she stokes the fire in her belly, the fire of curiosity and search for beauty. 

As a fellow Village mama pointed out, she is like Rob Lowe's character on Parks and Recreation in her intensity for life. 


And then, she crashes:





  My heart skips a beat when I think about having to leave the Village and South Bend.  I've never felt more home here, though it's been my home my entire life. 

It's because I have my Clan. 

There is such a perfect rhythm to our lives, beautified by the playground visits, tornado warning parties in the Elliot apartment, margarita nights and impromptu late-night mama dates on the curbside.

(BOO HISS---Blogger is acting up---pics to come later)

My sweet little man. 

Jacob astounds me every day with his ability to shed light on things, to call out truth, to read a chapter book in 30 minutes, to play like a wild animal and sleep just as hard.

Tonight as we lay in my king-size pillow-flooded bed, Jacob and I decided to do something different for prayer:

 I would name a person, and he would say what he's thankful for about that person, then we'd switch. 

 It was a lovely moment, as the warm evening breath danced through our curtains, calling us to nestle a bit closer, beckoning me to marvel at those swoon-worthy eyelashes of my man.

When I thought we had finished, Jacob said,

"Mama, there's someone we forgot---and we BOTH have to say what we're thankful for."

Thinking it would be Daddy or someone like that, he said,

"Jesus, Mama, Jesus....I am thankful that He is the most wonderful person in the whole history of the world."

Right-on, buddy. 

Preach it.

No comments:

Post a Comment