Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Planner=Sanity

The more I get to know myself (an ever-evolving process), the more I recognize and tarry with my idiosyncrasies.

When you walk in my house, you might think I don't care.  There are random boxes and piles of paper on the desk, perhaps some dishes in the sink, recycling boxes ready to go out and a pile of laundry on the couch.  One might think, "Huh.  She's a little messy, but it doesn't seem to bother her."


The thing is...IT DOES.  It irks me to no end.  And, as I believe I've said before, the only person who has been able to call me on my business is Flo, the mother of dear Carmen.  She said, "Danielle, you're problem is actually perfectionism.  You want things done perfectly, so you can't get anything done." 

Thank you, Flo.  You rock.

Many times I won't even let my closest friends come in because I'm afraid of being misunderstood.  Now, I know full well some people are messy and it just doesn't bug them.  More power to you, and I'm hoping to let go of some of the anxiety that comes with everyday messes.  The worst thing about mine is I'm always thinking about what needs to be done, always reorganizing, always trying to fit too many things into a too-small space.  Add that to my predisposition to time management challenges, and you find a hyper focused Danielle sitting on the bedroom floor going through my jewelry box piece by tiny piece surrounded by a mountain of laundry to fold.

My desk is OUT.OF.CONTROL. right now, heaping with bits and bobs, craft items and stationary because I want to find the perfect, aesthetic organization for each item which warrants several hours of uninterrupted time laying everything out on the floor and working at the puzzle.  

Huh.  

That's an impossibility with 500 sq. feet for four people and a dissertating husband....no space and no time to have a huge organizational overhaul.


Baby steps, baby.  That's what I need to take.

As I'm learning and researching more about ADD, I've come to some decisions:
1).  I am going to forgo medication for now.  Although I think it could certainly help, we very much want to have more children and with the possible risks to early fetal development I'm not comfortable taking it.

2).  Because I won't be medicating, I need to commit to behavioral modifications.  
           a).  Make my planner another appendage.  You better  
                 believe I researched the heck out of my options to find
                 the perfect balance of beauty/function and I think I found
                a good one.  
                                       Source:  http://www.sweetpeasandstilettos.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/orange-circle-studio-do-it-all-planner.jpg
             


http://www.sweetpeasandstilettos.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/orange-circle-studio-do-it-all-planner.jpg  
Am I the only one that revels in the blank canvas of an empty planner, picking the perfect inky pen to transfer important dates and begin organizing time? 

           b).  FINALLY print off my zone charts and control journal  for FLY Lady routines.  The simple act of small bursts of daily cleaning fits well with my jam-packed mind.  If you don't know about FLY Lady, her life management approach is very user-friendly.  I'd recommend reading her book Sink Reflections.
http://www.amazon.com/Sink-Reflections-Marla-Cilley/dp/0553382179

            c).  Keep up with my daily prayer, exercise, WW tracking  and Mass at least once extra a week.

3).  I need to be more gentle with myself.  The more self-critical I am, the less I am able to get done.  Instead of over-thinking, just act.
4).  If I want something done and I'm able to, I need to just do it myself, within healthy boundaries.

5).  With improved time management, make space in my week to do the things I love like sewing, crochet, knitting, photography and BLOGGING.
And tonight I shall begin....though I have much more to share and write, I am tired.  

Instead of waiting until tomorrow to post so that I can spend time editing photos and writing, I shall leave off with what I have.

Baby steps.


5 comments:

  1. You are speaking to my heart friend! I have been having similar feelings today--your #3 definitely resonates with me, in that when there is too much on my plate I become paralyzed and do NONE of it. I love a fresh planner and inky pen! May the force be with you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many prayers for you! I think #5 is my favorite...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love you girls! Q---I KNEW you would feel the inky pen love, and in fact had mentioned you in the post but somehow erased it. :( Julie, I miss your face and need to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am totally with you on this one! I struggle with the same problem, and fight daily to be at peace with my mess!:). Thanks for putting it into words!! Love and prayers to you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so with you on the dirty house thing! When baby number 2 was born (at home) I panicked minutes after he was born because I had not dusted the fan! My only thought was "I can't believe I let the midwife in with a dirty fan!" ridiculous! Having a new life in my hands minutes old beats the need for a clean fan! Although, right when my mom got to our house, I made her clean it :)

    ReplyDelete