Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Friendship

Though I began with the intention of writing a beauty post, I of course got distracted by the shiny day of interactions I had, and thought I'd talk about friendship.  Totally not going to obsess about getting it right, just getting it out.  Plenty more on this theme to come....
***********

I will admit it.

I have an inordinate need to be liked, understood and accepted.

I am easily hurt, and sometime feel like a 7th grade girl in my self-consciousness.

I sometimes get suspicious and question why people even like me at all.

Because I'm the funny fat girl?  Because I bring some laughs? Because I'm just odd enough to be fun but not too odd to be avoided?

Bull caca.

FINALLY, in my 31st year, I'm growing up.

When I meet new people or see old friends, I don't need to prove myself, convince them of my worthiness.  If they are or will be my friends, they know.                                              

Some at first may not seem like a friend match, but then slowly unfolds a beautiful relationship. It may take time, and that's ok.

Some will remain only acquaitances, and that's ok.

There will be those who, though well-meaning, just can't give what I need in a friendship, and that's ok.

Some friendships will start with enthusiasm and wane away in awkwardness.  And that's ok.

There will be friendships seriously grounded in shared faith, and those founded in a respect for one another's faith.  And that's ok.

I will meet people who need more from me than I can give.  I will honor them with honesty, and that's ok.

Some, with whom meeting induces a giant explosive awesomeness, and that's ok. (Here's lookin' at you, Nanette "Hey Soul Sister."

After weeks/months/years of distance, some friendships rekindle with richness more beautiful than before.  (Hello, Jantre and Chrissy)!

I am beginning to embrace the natural rhythms of friendships.

The best advice given to Kevin and me in our relationship rings also true for friendships.

Let it take it's natural course.

Easy, right?

Don't force it, don't fight it.

Be open to the Spirit, because you might end up at a park doing the splits on a Tuesday afternoon.  Twice.

1 comment:

  1. Totally in love with this post. Who knew that friendships are tough and sometimes awkward roads to forge? So glad to have rekindled our love thing:)


    Love you sweet D!

    - Jantre

    ReplyDelete