Monday, February 7, 2011

Shabbat, Ecce Homo and Home Again

 Living in Israel, one quickly adjusts to the entire city virtually shutting down from Friday afternoon to Saturday sundown.  Grocery shopping, cleaning, errands and other such things need to be done before places close up shop for the duration.  I ventured into the city alone today, in rainy weather and untimely buses.  A trip that in the States would have taken 40 minutes, tops, took almost 3 hours.  After that fuss, I really needed some down time, which we happily had.  America really should adopt some variation on Shabbat, as it forces us to slow down, to take time for visiting, sharing a meal, caring for one another.  (Kevin says to check out Exod. 19:8-11 and the revolutionary Apostolic Letter Dies Domini at http://www.vatican.va/holy_father/john_paul_ii/apost_letters/documents/hf_jp-ii_apl_05071998_dies-domini_en.html)

Naomi, Mark, the twins Peter and James and their friend Kalindy came over on Saturday and it was certainly was a peaceful Shabbat.  We enjoyed a lovely lunch of sauteed onions and zuchinni in a creamy tomato roux on a bed of quinoa.  Totally made up from our communal ingredients and really quite fab.

I love how quickly relationships form and strengthen when we cleave to other members of our minority.  It it is such comfort to have fellow Christians, let alone from ye old Notre Dame.  It was the second time the Hoipkemiers came over, and we quickly settled into a rhythm of chat, nap, eat, repeat.  Amongst the music of children and comfort of visitors, it makes my heart happy.

Saturday night we we went to Ecce Homo, the traditional site where Pilate turned Jesus over to be killed.

Because we were attending a gathering of people who meet for Mass once a month, we didn't go into the main Basilica, although we certainly will in the future.  Mass was on the terrace with breathtaking views.  We were within a block of the Dome of the Rock, and all of Jerusalem twinkled and honked, meowed and chanted for us.  Forgive the horrid hasty, blurry photos---It was windy and chilly!




The people were perhaps the most welcoming I've met here yet.  Almost every single person approached us to say hello, welcome, that they were glad we came.  English, Irish, Indian, American, old, young and in between converged in a little room to celebrate Mass.

As we walked up a narrow stone hallway and onto the terrace, Kevin and I, as we often do, commented, "Oh, by the way, we have two kids, and we live in Israel, and we are looking at the Dome of the Rock like it's our back yard...umm when did that happen?"

Mass was simple and comfortable, with the kiddos toddling about and Kevin and I tag teaming time on the terrace.  (Don't you love alliteration)?  During the homily, an Indian brother spoke about how happy he was to be among us, to see our eyes and touch our hands.  In lilting sing-song voice, he drew us in, entranced us with the depth of his joy, his radiant trust that God was present with us.  It was one of those reeling moments, when memories of past anointed gatherings converge and I am awestruck by this common love, this familiarity in foreign land, this home among strangers.

After Mass, we shared a meal of lasagna and other goodies.  As I sat chatting with new friends, the Indian man, Br. Tony (I don't even know how he got that name), came to me and clasped my hand.  In his smooth, musical voice, he patted my hand and said, "I know you are a woman of joy.  You show joy in your face,  you show love.  You are so relaxed and happy.  I am happy because you are happy." 

Yeah, that happened. 

It's one of the dozens of moments a week when I feel I'm playing a role in some epic sweeping tale, and I'm rockin' it.

Anyhoo, last night (Sunday), we had our weekly special meal.  Every Sunday, there are wine and candles and a little extra special food, like steak and potatoes and yummy cake.  With each meal shared, I feel it...We make a home wherever we are.

Sisters Maureen and Sr. Bridget

Fr. Jim
Debra and Dan

Dennis and Beverly





I'm going to leave you with some pics of our incredible surroundings. 

What beauty have you found today?






1 comment:

  1. Danielle,
    Maybe you have inspired me to see beauty in everything (or maybe I am just a bit loopy) but doesn't it look like a dove of light in the clouds? Your blog and pictures are wonderful. I'm so happy you have found such community there. Much love and hugs from your village community here, Simone

    ReplyDelete