Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Things I Miss/Things I Will Miss

Things I Miss

My family and friends

My Village Peeps: patting bellies, snuggling new babies, watching the kids act all crazy-like:

Driving

Superstores where you can get everything from produce to wart pads

Not being the minority (American, Christian, Plus Size, Tall)

People who know me, my history and my quirks.  I love meeting new people and I am bolstered by the fact that I can still make new friends, but it certainly takes a lot of emotional energy.   Thank God Erica comes in TWO DAYS!!!!!!

Things I will miss

Attending Mass is many different languages in ancient churches.

Views like this:

 Anonymity

Our big apartment

More deliberate family time

Fresh Produce----especially what would be considered "exotic."  For example, I had a persimmon for the first time today and WOOOOOOOOW.  It is the sweetest fruit I have ever tasted, it's totally a dessert!
http://cookamycook.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/persimmon.jpg
http://cookamycook.wordpress.com/2010/01/02/persimmon-sorbet-and-kiwi-bread/


Meeting new people.  :)

Being cell-phone free (though not for much longer, I promise, Fr. Jeff)!

Shabbat and the slowing down it entails

The enormity of being in such an ancient, holy place. 

Well, a movie with the hubby calls!

P.S.  Look out soon for a new regular guest blogger.  He's hot and hunky and his names rhymes with Glevin.

5 comments:

  1. Your title is so intriguing on this one! Seems to sum up your experience so perfectly! It's such an interesting quantity of time! I still don't feel settled enough here after all these months. I admire your adventurous optimism immensely. Mara is currently feeding 3 "Baby Cecis".

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have persimmons in North America, because we have a few trees on my family farm in Ky. They are much smaller than that, though, about the size of a cherry. They bloom in the late fall and are very tart. Here is a picture I took of one of the trees a few years back:

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/meinekefamily/3053223884/in/set-72157607187043959/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bert Blylevin is doing a guest post? AWESOME!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We miss you too! I love that picture of the kids, it captures their silliness perfectly and it reminds me of how shortly after it was taken they "cleaned" the toy room for us.

    And what-you don't get views like that overlooking the tollway at sunset? Pshaw!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha, Glevin! It reminds me of Glonald! Isn't that what Nina called him?

    ReplyDelete