Saturday, February 12, 2011

Spontaneous Gratitude

I wanted to add pics, but the wireless is slow as molassy tonight.  :(

I am thankful for:

**A (mostly) healed knee.  It's still stiff and tender if I walk too long, and it's in that scabby tight phase of healing, but I think that there is no long-term damage.  THANK GOD!

**That God provides in due time.  I was so concerned about Jacob's transition here, and just when things were getting extra hard being away from friends, dear Olivia arrived.  She fits quite naturally into the Haley swing of things, and we cherish her long afternoon visits.  She was over all day today, and we played hide and seek, went on the swing set, made Valentines, read and the list goes on.  It's an extra help for me too, with wrangling Ceci or distracting Jacob.  Olivia is a lovely, intelligent young woman and I am excited to see how she grows and blossoms.

**A bustling Tantur.   With college students re-located and local Jewish/Arab conferences and visiting scholars, the place is hopping.  I of course loved the quiet too, but there's something familial about a full house.  It's a wonderful weaving of diverse faiths, ethnicities, ages, sizes, colors, opinions and I LOVE it!!

**Our nice rhythm we've settled into.  We are really at home,  and it's greatly reassuring that we grow where we're planted.  And transplanted.  :)

 **The Tantur staff.  Like extended family, they pinch cheeks and make animal noises, tease Jacob and tickle Ceci.  When I was injured, they showed such care and concern.  The housekeeping women even came and cleaned for me!!!!!!  Seriously, that one almost made me cry.

[Men--if you want a no-fail gift, buy your lady a session(s) of professional housecleaning.  She will fall in love with you all over again.  Am I right, or am I right?]

 **Our Bible study on the book of Ruth.  We come from different faith backgrounds and approaches, but our intimate group is full of curiosity and joy. 

**My renewed desire to know, learn, meet, observe as much as possible.  Cliche as it sounds, I'm drunk on life and the unlimited ways to find beauty.   Example: Our neighbor, Inga, who is from Sweden but has lived here for 5 years, is an artist.  She agreed to give a few of us drawing lessons, and our first one was yesterday. Gently, helpfully guiding, she taught us with the obvious joy she takes in her art.

**Ceci and her adorableness.   Gregarious, determined, adventurous, feisty.
She LOVES to read and runs over with her favorite lift-a-flap book, opens to her favorite page of animals, and proceeds to make animal sounds for:  puppy, monkey, and my two favs elephant and tiger.  It pretty much makes me want to nibble her up

*Kinger Eggs, Kinder Bueno, Kinder Kinder Kinder chocolate

Tata for now!

2 comments:

  1. Every good and perfect gift comes from above, and you are blessed! So glad to hear what a great community you are finding there!

    Speaking of community, we are seeing people tonight. People with KIDS! We're having dessert with Dan's colleagues, and the kids are all in the same age range. I'm really excited!

    ReplyDelete