Wednesday, February 16, 2011

To Mary Ann, on Her Birthday

Grandma, you are one of my earliest memories.

Allen Street: slanted floral ceiling, the smell of your Tea Rose perfume, the sound of your singing the Hiawatha song as we lay on your bed falling asleep.

With you, I felt safe, welcome, wanted. 


It was with you that we named our first pet, Macaroni of Oz Humphrey, and you always loved him.  Your care for even the humblest of God's creatures has taught me much.

Exploring your basement or guest room or upstairs for treasures remains a favorite pastime of childhood.

Always creative in parties, letters at camp, gifts and science projects, you inspired me to think outside the box and put effort into the little details.

I love that you always speak your mind---no matter the response.

Your generosity is a consistent blessing and boon to so many.  As my mother attests, it was at times because of you that we had food to eat and electricity in our home.

Having only sisters myself, seeing you and Aunt Marge live together makes me so thankful for my family.  You shared daily meals, bantered and teased, supported and cared for each other   If we are lucky, our sister relationships will ripen and mature as yours did, always offering a sassy kick in the pants and a constant source of companionship.

In the years before Aunt Marge died, I was awed by your strength, your constant service of your sister.  With the sheer physical necessities, many people  half your age couldn't have done what you did.   Your love runs deep as bone, rooted in the sinews of your heart and fueled by loyalty in love.

Your strength, your courage, your energy and persistence are such admirable qualities and I can only hope to embody a fraction of what you do.  Though you have faced many challenges in life, you have not allowed them to steal your appreciation for goodness, beauty and faith.

Thank you for giving birth to, raising and loving my mother so that she could do the same for me, and I for my own children.  

I love you, Grandma.  Thank you for the gift of you.

Great grandma and Cecilia Rose

3 comments:

  1. What a tender and beautiful tribute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! It makes me think of my grandmother.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this just made me cry. legit. I love grandma, and she is seriously one of the most amazing people I know. And the thing is, you tell her that and she will just laugh and say no no honey, I am just an average woman. She has faced more challenges than many and yet is one of the most joyful people I know. You rock, Grandma.

    ReplyDelete