Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Galilee Adventures...part III of IV??

Thank you again, cherished readers, for sticking with me during my writing drought.  It means so much to me to know that you feel included in our journey, as that is my hope in writing on my corner of the "cloud."  You may have trouble getting me to stop posting now that I'm back at it again.

After spending a gob of time tonight editing photos, making collages and getting distracted by music and anything shiny, I've decided to tack on one more post after this.....at least.  :)


But, first thing's first. 

Back to Nazareth we go. 

Well, by Monday morning I was quite impressed with how we all held up.  Aside from a few lost tempers and bicker spats, everyone was in one piece.  

The first stop of the day was the Church of the Annunciation.


Just a short 5 minute walk from the Inn and we were there.  I realized after editing my photos, I don't have a single picture of the whole church front, but alas, I'll share what I have:








For those who are curious, the Church of the Annunciation is built upon the area traditionally regarded as the place where the angel Gabriel came to announce to Mary that she would bear a Son.  



Before even entering the church, we strolled along the outer wall which contained beautiful mosaics of Mary and Baby Jesus from dozens of different countries, most of which clothed Baby and Mama in the traditional garb of their respective lands.


Taking our time, and a picture of (almost) each one, we were amazed by the breadth of variety and beauty.  Aside from a few creepy/goofy ones, they were gorgeous, but I'll let you decide for yourself.  Oh, and don't mind the super huge sizes.  I wanted you to be able to see as much detail as possible.






Though I loved so many of them, these might have been my favorites:


 To me, this is reminiscent of Klimt.  Anyone else?



Silly gate---this one is from Bolivia
 Did you have a favorite?

Now, of course I have to share some of the more humorous ones:
Jesus loves the Scouts too!!


This was actually going to be a favorite, but for one thing.  Now, I love me some JP II just like the next gal, but his placement in the picture made me laugh out loud, not gonna lie.  I want to like it for it's intended reason, but I like it like I like a holographic Jesus.
 
ANYHOOOO, after looking around some more, we went inside.
I will admit, the church's 1970s vibe was a bit off-putting at first, but it was so peaceful with subdued natural lighting, that I was moved.  

Kneeling on the ground, with my head to the cold floor, I fell into a quiet meditative prayer.  These opportunities come rarely, so I enter in, without regard for how strange I might look.


There, on the floor of the church, in the land of Jesus' childhood, I prayed.


I prayed for all mothers, that they might follow Our Lady's example of graceful strength and unconditional love.


I prayed that, like Mary, we will proclaim a hearty, "yes," that we might sing our own Magnificat for the gifts God offers us.


I prayed for all of you, my family and friends, that you might know peace amidst the buzzing, spinning pace of your every day.


















2 comments:

  1. Thank you for your prayers Danielle. Reading that you thought of us here as you were kneeling in such a holy place almost made me cry as our life is very chaotic these days. May God continue to bless your time in the Holy land.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the pics of all four of you sprinkled throughout your posts!

    ReplyDelete