Sunday, April 10, 2011

Adieu

I sit here with puffy eyes, a stuffy nose and a vodka and diet orange Fanta after bidding adieu to the family.

I'm not gonna lie, I'm having a rough time of it.  

I know it would otherwise be difficult, but the fact that Kathleen enters the convent before we return makes it extra tender and hard to handle.  Add to it the cloistered nature of her order, and you have yourself one walloping emotional goodbye.

I have profound respect, admiration and awe of Kathleen's choice to enter the Carmelites.  I am intensely aware of the reality of a life of prayer, the insignificance in the eyes of the world but the immensity of grace and heavenly blessings that come from such devoted, fervent faith.




That being said, it hurts to the point of rawness to think that we won't see her when we get home.  We can't watch her wrestle with Jacob or throw Ceci in the air, or crack sarcastic jokes or just be in her sweet presence. 

As Kevin says, it's the closest thing to a death without a death. 

I would not purport to even know what it's like to lose a close loved one, would never diminish the feeling of saying goodbye forever to your sister, brother, son daughter.  That would be remiss.

I only say, this just hurts.

Our week together as a family, however,  was just anointed.  I kept using that word over and over, but it was so real, unreal, surreal, magical, blessed, graced, joyful, intense, and true gift.  For that I am eternally grateful.

 We met so many amazing people, heard stories and shared stories, seen sights of unparalleled beauty.  In order to process everything properly, I'm going to take a few days to think on it all, trying to find some way, albeit far lacking, to describe our time together.

Right now, though, I'm needing some love from my peeps, my tribe, my soul friends and readers.  What better time to institute a new blog tradition?

I am from here out establishing a Sunday Beauty Fest and I need your help.  

Yes---YOU!!!!!!

I know you're out there, I know you read the blog (we're approaching I know you see beauty every day and you need to share it up in here, folks.

Here's the deal.  Email me, facebook message me, leave a comment on the blog, just SHARE, SHARE, SHARE your favorite beauteous moment(s) of the past week.  By Tuesday morning for you stateside folk, I want to have a big 'ole pile of beauty to share.  I'll make a post of your pictures, stories, poems or limericks for all to see, giving props where needed or leaving it anonymous if you'd prefer.

Don't leave a sister hangin', ya here??  Do it up.

Just to show you how easy it is, I'll start.  :)

First, one of my favorite beauty happenings was yesterday, April 9th, the birthday of my soul sister Quinn.  Her dedicated post is in-the-making.  How do you make an ode to 11 years of hilarity?  A yeoman's job, I tell you.

Here's some of my favorite beauty moments, in picture form.










1 comment:

  1. Of course I thought out a heartfelt response, but blogger lost it. In the interest of time as dinnertime approaches, I will continue to pray for all of the Haleys.

    ReplyDelete