Thursday, December 23, 2010

Gems of Gratitude

Tonight I am grateful for:

Fr. Dan Scheidt 
When he comes for dinner, it's as if a long lost member of our little clan has returned, melting into the chaotic joy and randomness.  He really "gets us" in our Chestertonian joy and Percian randomness....He gets us.  He gets the hilarity of discovering a potato on the floor in front of the door.  Yup, it happened. 

~~~~~~


http://www.popartuk.com/g/l/lgmp0939+mr-bump-little-miss-sunshine-and-friends-mr-men-and-little-miss-by-roger-hargreaves-mini-poster.jpg 


 Mr. Men and Little Miss Books.  You know the ones, right?  Little Miss Sunshine, Mr. Tickle, Little Miss. Oops (totally me), Mr. Nice and Miss. Tidy.  I also have to hold back rioutous laughter at Jacob’s pronunciation when he reads the last title.  Let’s just say he thinks it’s a short “i” sound.  



~~~~~~~~~~~~~






I am TOTALLY lovin' on this schtick.  I could eat it with a spoon:
 
~~~~~

Pandora's holiday music stations---particularly the Classical Christmas and the Folk Christmas.  Pandora, I <3 you!!

~~~ 
Staying up way too late wrapping presents with my mom and sisters, feeling a child-like excitement not for opening my own presents, but for our children to open theirs.  We like to pretend every year that we are going to have a super simple Christmas, really we do.  

Then, it's like bunnies.  http://www.packetinsider.com/blog/nature/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/five-bunnies-tari-pantaleo.jpg   (How ADORABLE, right??)

There's more and more generosity and before we know it, the floor is covered in gifts and it takes 4 hours to open them because of course we go one person, one gift at a time. There's no other way!   Knee-high wrapping paper and  wild-eyed kiddos abound.  

Honestly, it's not about the stuff---with small storage space, we are very particular about what the kids get.   It's all about the love. 

I remember as young children, my parents would place chairs at the top of the stairs so that we wouldn't sneak down in the morning.  We'd all wait until everyone woke up, dad would go down to start the coffee and we would sing Happy Birthday to Jesus with croaky morning-soaked voiced.  Hair all scraggly-like and clad with flannel pjs, we would rush down the stairs at dad's cue, maniacally screeching at the array.

I still feel that tenderness about Christmas morning.  

In the intimacy of early morning, there is something sacred about the togetherness, the celebration of a King born in most humble beginnings.  A child long-awaited, the Great Light.  Wonderful Counselor, King of Kings, Prince of Peace.  Born amidst animals in true simplicity.

http://joemcclane.travisboudreaux.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/nativity.jpg

And so, we will all gather at Alicia's house tomorrow---our ragtag group who has weathered so much.  

Yes, after years of challenges and hardship (of which we shall speak later), we will gather in love--and we shall have our annual overnight, kiddos and all.

And we'll have ourselves a Merry little Christmas. 
~~~~

I am **LOVING** seeing how many people have visited my little blog so far----in a little over a week we've had almost 850 hits, with visitors from The US, UK, Croatia, Chile and Hong Kong.  YOU ARE AWESOME!!

SOOOO, now that I've told you myself a bit about myself, I'd love to know something about you, fellow beauty seekers

For what are YOU grateful for today?  Do you have any special holiday traditions you'd like to share?

****Please let me know via facebook or email if you have trouble posting a comment
~~~~

Have a blessed Christmas Eve!



 
  

2 comments:

  1. I'm grateful for a white Christmas. It's one of the small things but they count, too. I love snow because it's like a huge blanket covering and quieting the ugliness in the world. As a kid, I would spend hours in the snow building snowmen, igloos, forts, and sleding, even (and especially) at night. When darkness fell, I would just lay in the snow staring up to the sky watching the snowflakes fall and listen to the hushed sounds of the world.

    *★Merry★* 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
    •。★Christmas★ 。* 。
    ° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
    ˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
    ...˚ ˛ •˛• |田田|門| ˚

    ReplyDelete
  2. For a loving God, a tailor-made spouse, freakin' cute and funny kids, cinnamon rolls, a diverse and fun extended family, and friends like you!

    ReplyDelete