Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Ahh, much better.

Last night was intense.

Much like when I've had PPD, there was this soul-cracking anxiety---What have we gotten into?  What would we do if Jacob got lost from us in a busy shuk (giant marketplace)?  What if Ceci choked or fell down stairs?  What if we had some kind of crazy allergic reaction to something (thank God we nabbed the Campbell's Benadryl at the last minute--thanks, guys).  NPR is a great anxiety-reducer and (in a non-insulting way), a great sleep inducer.  (I know you're with me, Jamie)!

Unlike when I've had PPD----I actually got to sleep for almost 9 straight hours.  Granted, it was from 5 am to 2 pm, but no matter .

I felt WORLDS better, and woke up to sunshine streaming through our many windows.

SUNSHINE!!  This place has so much sun, and the air is just crisp enough for cozy sweaters.

After a quick snack of bread, butter and cheese, we went out to explore the grounds.

[I have taken almost 200 pictures already.  I sat down to blog and upload them only to find I left my usb cable at home.  ARRGH.  So, until we get to an electronics store, we shall be without photos.  Then, they will be added ad nauseum].

It is GORGEOUS.  Since we've come during the "lush" season, there's plenty of green mixed in with the stones and rocks.  It's both rugged and pastoral and quite different than the midwest terrain.

 Jacob is such balm for the soul, as with every turn we took and every new scene, he kept exclaiming, "It's awesome.  I LOVE Jerusalem.  This is too cool!  I can't believe my eyes." 

You know kid, you are right.

We went out near the front gate and saw gorgeous views of the city at dusk, and Jacob climbed the turret which he calls the castle.

After some outside exploration, we went in search of the library.

For the sake of energy conservation, the building lights are generally kept off.  The library has 24 hour access through basement hallways, which we found.  By the light of my camera flash, we navigated along and found light switches.  Like Jack and Annie in The Magic Treehouse, it felt like we were exploring new terrain for the first time....which is exactly what we were doing.

The library revels in 70s glory and was, as Kev can attest, INCREDIBLE.  Like everything else here at Tantur, it's HUGE.  And extensive.  And quiet.  And empty of people.  We found several carrels that had views of the city and tons of space---basically an office.  Our dear Fr. Dan commented on the irony of going to the Middle East to have more space.  :)

Jacob kept saying it was creepy, but we had a blast looking at all the rooms and card catalogs and niches.  I can't wait to explore it some more.

After the library, we chatted with Lisa, the rector's wife who also oversees the staff.  She is friendly and warm, and will be a surrogate grandmother for the kiddos while we're here.  We chatted details about laundry and grocery shopping, and I am thankful for her guidance.

We made a quick stop to the little play area.  There are 2 swings and a simple climbing structure which will be great for Jacob.

Right now there is a group of college students from Pennsylvania who will be here for 3 weeks, so it's nice to have some young friendly faces around.  They were there for dinner, and got a kick out of Ceci and Jacob. 

The food has been tasty and fresh, with many salads, TONS of hummus and pita, soups, rice and stews.  We will likely have breakfast and lunch at home and dinner in the dining hall.

Once we get a routine down, get into the city and such, I think we're really going to enjoy it.

I'm really thankful to have this first week of togetherness, and with the lack of other distractions, I think in general we're going to have more time together than at home.  After Ceci went down, the three of us did a puzzle together and it felt so good.  Simple. 

Well, a bottle of Palestinian beer and our balconies await me----BALCONIES!  I know, right.

Layla tov for now.

Oh and P.S., THANK YOU for your comments.  It makes me feel like I'm not talking to some lonely abyss, but real humans.  :)

7 comments:

  1. I loved reading this installment of your advnture. You are a talented writer and this will be great to keep up with you all. keep them coming please and enjoy it all... =)
    Aunt Pam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woohoo that sounds awesome already! Enjoy that balcony, we're getting ready for another bout of lake effect...

    ReplyDelete
  3. After a horribly frustrating day, I just sat down with a piece of fried chicken to read your blog in hopes that one (the chicken) or the other (your blog) would lift my spirits...and they did! Thanks for sharing. My heart is light and happy again. Cheers to you! --Kris C-H

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love hearing every beautifully worded description of your activites! I can't wait to see pictures of your place and surrounding areas.

    Give the kids a big hug and kiss from Nana and Papa.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is great. I'm glad that you've had a good first couple of days.
    -Matt

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmmmmmm Humus! I am glad you guys are getting settled! We miss you tons already. Reading your blog helps me know that you guys are embarking on a once in a lifetime adventure that you'd never have here in South Bend. We will still miss you while your gone!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad things are starting to look up! The pictures look beautiful, I look forward to hearing/seeing more! :)

    ReplyDelete