Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Exhaustion in a post

We made it.

I haven't slept more than a wink in over 30 hours, but we made it.

The kiddos were ROCK STARS.  Jacob seriously passed out before we took off for Tel Aviv and slept for all but the last 2 hours.  Ceci didn't have quite as much sleep, but adapted well to sleeping in our arms. 

Yeah, if I had the moolah I'd pretty much banish all thought of lap baby, but she was adorbs with her rosebud lips and her squishy mushy sweetness all curled up.

Jacob made friends with anyone and everyone.  It's funny that, with such a social home environment, he doesn't have to go seeking out friends, they're just there, so we may not see his outgoing side much.  In fact, I've often thought the opposite.

Nope.  At security, random passengers or diners in the gates, customs officials, several little lassies boarding our Tel Aviv flight---he would seek them out, sometimes infringing on personal space to tell them about his Star Wars musical, or that he wanted to be friends or yadda yadda .....Love him.

Skipping major details which I will fill in later, we are here in Tantur, safe and sound with a belly full of rice and hummus.

I am trying to take a cue from Jacob who keeps saying he's just so excited to be in Israel, that it's so awesome, that he loves Tantur.

And right now, surely out of sleep deprivation, all I can do is cry. 

Because:

we alread burned out the kids' noise machine due to a stinky converter.

Ceci fell out of the too-high crib they graciously set out for her--thank God it was only moments after we surrounded the crib with our overstuffed suitcases, so the landing was soft and not skull-cracking tile.

Because I fear the thought of unpacking and doing a gigantic scrub down of our gigantic (yay!!) apartment.

Because I feel like a stranger in a strange land.  And I want my Mommy.

But here I am, with this amazing opportunity and a wonderful family with whom to share it. 

I will allow myself two, maybe three days of spontaneous breakdowns and then I gotta get over it. 

It's 4 months, not 4 years,

it's a chance of a lifetime,

and it's good preparation for our eventual departure from the support network we've always known.

So prayer, my dears would be welcome. 

Because we need a good night's sleep, and Ceci is ready to party.

Come, Lord Jesus!! 

7 comments:

  1. I'm in awe you found time to post already and am delighted you are all safe and sound. Keep the updates coming and know so many of us are sending you good vibes (or prayers).--Kris C-H

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Danielle! You absolutely rock! Hooray for safe and uneventful arrival! Prayers for sleep! Eventual departures can be full of hidden blessings, and I'm sure your time in Israel will be too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i am in awe of you right now! you are taking on quite the adventure and you will do it wonderfully! good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you all are safe and sound! Try to get some sleep, make that your family's first priority, getting your sleep on track, it will make everything go so much better. Prayers for you, Mama!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to hear you guys made it there safely. I can only imagine that it feels overwhelming. But each day will get a bit easier and you will be amazed at your own strength!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's okay to cry. I'm so glad your kids were troopers! Sleep well, I'm sending prayers your way!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Danielle,

    I cried just reading your post...you know, the part that said sisters and best friends. I would be lost without my sisters. Then the part about needing your mommy. I feel like I need Mom more at age 24 than age 4. She is amazing.

    I am so excited for you. You have the right mind set. You can do this! I know you are going to embrace every moment and every opportunity. You have a beautiful soul, my dear sister and I am so proud of you. I love you with all my heart.

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete