Sunday, January 16, 2011

Missing Home

Well, we're not quite one week into our adventures, and tonight I'm feeling homesick.  Expected, but hard nonetheless.  But, now for a rundown of our second trip into the city (the first rundown is still pending as I have yet to find a memory card reader to upload my pics).

We went into the Old City today for Mass at St. Stephen's, which is part of Ecole Biblique.  It was in a lovely side chapel filled with soft light, gorgeous stained glass and simple art.  After braving the bus and trapsing through the littered streets, walking into the gates of the Ecole was like walking into the arms of family.
http://www.christusrex.org/www1/ofm/sbf/escurs/Ger/11SStefanofacciataBig.jpg
http://www.christusrex.org/www1/ofm/sbf/escurs/Ger/11escursEn.html

Though many may not understand my love for my faith, it is on days like this that I revel in it.  Catholicism, in it's universality, allows us to attend a liturgy in a land far away in a language foreign.  The beauty is that these are the very readings, the very Eucharistic prayer, the very Christ that everyone else attending Mass anywhere in the world receives.  In my loneliness, I am united to my loved ones in the very Flesh.  How incredible!

After Mass, we were going to go to the Church of the Holy Sepulchre but decided to explore the Old City markets a bit more.  I didn't take pictures, but let me tell you---it is BUSY!!  It's almost like walking through tunnels of hundreds of shops packed floor-to-ceiling with bits and baubles, plastic junk and gold jewelry, religious items and padded bras, "fashion" boots (HIDEOUS!) and falafel stands, animal carcasses and candy stalls.  The smells and sounds were one at the same time fascinating and suffocating. 

I still have the knack for bartering and did make one purchase of 3 beautiful pashmina for around $11 after talking him down a bit.  I know I can get them cheaper, as someone later was selling one for 10 shekels (his first offer), so that would be 3 for 30 shekels or around $8.50.

After the sensory onslaught and lack of food, Jacob and I were getting a bit cranky.  Although the falafel shop owner had an ashy cigarette handing from his fingers as he made our food (blaaaaaargh), we scarfed one down and headed to the Western Wall.

http://www.johnfreeland.com/images/Western%20Wall.jpg
http://www.johnfreeland.com/pages/Western%20Wall.htm
Amidst school boy banter, spacey tourists and religious coming for daily prayer, the Wall was a sight to behold.  Much like those who stay after Mass to pray, surrounded by the cacophony of church chats but focused and cocooned in their prayer, so it was with the visitors to the Wall.  Men and women go to separate areas.  The men,  Jew and Gentile alike, donn kipah (yarmulke) out of respect.

Because Ceci was getting squirrely, I let Kev and Jacob go ahead as I watched from the stairs above.

How surreal, to see the two of the most important men in my life approach, hand-in-hand, one of the holiest sites in the world.  Kevin creatively explained to Jacob [insert Kev's cautious caveat that this was a simplified Gentile perspective and explanation] that as Catholics, we believe Jesus is present in each tabernacle in the world.  For Jews, they believe the Western Wall is the location where God is most truly present in the whole world, as the Wall is the last remnant of the Temple Mount and thus the home of the Holy of Holies: God's presence: the tabernacle.

Beautiful.

~~~~~

Some people have asked for our address so as to send letters/carepackages.  It takes about 3 weeks for mail to go from the States to Israel and vice versa, and then we are dependent upon whomever goes into the post office to do mail pick-up.  BUT, we would LOVE to get mail!

If you are feeling super inspired, a few beloved items are:
Archer Farms Fruit Leather (from Target),  M & Ms,  salty snacks, a Sunday New York Times, and anything else, barring hair clippings or possums (love ya, Q)!

Our addy is:
The Haley Family
Tantur Ecumenical Institute for Theological Studies
Box 19556
91194
Jerusalem, Israel
Air Mail

Love to all!

7 comments:

  1. Sorry the homesickness has hit! It's a lot of change in little time. Your old city trip sounds fantastic! Dan only had a day there. Love your reflections on faith in this post. So good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So. totally. awesome. I am jealous you get to see some of the things He saw and walk some of the paths He walked. I look forward to more posts from you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love reading your posts. In spite of missing home, you're appreciating your surroundings. And you are so wonderfully reverent and joyful about the things I love, too! I hope things continue to go well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was just saying this to my friends when I realized I should share it with you as well. I was saying it is really funny when you find things out about your siblings that you didn't know and you are just huh... who knew....
    I was saying that I am really impressed by what an excellent writer you are, Danielle. You really do know the right choice of words in order to captivate your readers and make them feel that they are sitting next to you, hearing your voice say the words.
    Just thought I would let you know :) LOVE YOU! (and ps I guess Harv did us right by using big words... although many of them did not stick with me and my vocabulary is not as eloquent, it appears to have worked for you. Haha one of the many things that we have dad (and mom) to thank.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you all so much! I'm glad that my words are getting across. I'm always a bit reticent before making a post public, but to know it's falling on kind ears makes it all worth it!

    @ Jules---thank you so much for the affirmation, it means more than you know. I, too, love finding new things out about my sisters and hope that we can always surprise eachother! And yes, Harv and Colette did us good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Danielle this was so beautiful it made me cry! You always have a way of exposing the beauty in the things that are sometimes ignored in our everyday routine. This is one of the many reasons we love you so much!!!! Miss you guy!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What about nail clippings?

    ReplyDelete