Saturday, January 29, 2011

Friday

It's a chilly 64 degrees right now and I'm bundled in a cardigan and open-weave sweater.

Methinks, perhaps, I've become a bit of a wimp, no??  :)

The wireless is not working in our room right now, and I've come to realize what a source of connection it's been for us.  Aside from the obvious being able to check email or look up a random piece of info at a moment's notice, we have also gotten into the habit of skyping quite frequently--at least 3 people/families a late afternoon.  You can imagine our disappointment after dinner last night, when we went to skype our Village peeps only to find it impossible.  Sorry y'all!!  Hopefully things will be up and working tomorrow or Sunday.

I'm sitting in the coffee room right now, and as it's  designated smoking area, this post will probably be shortish due to the blue haze.

Today was another grocery trip and boy-oh-boy did we learn our lesson about going shopping the day before Shabbat.

It was NUTTY.

Fridays are kind of like Saturdays in the states, but because the grocery stores close for Shabbat, it's like an American Saturday grocery trip before a huge storm comes in.  People are impatient, pushy, and in general annoying.  I'm really glad we decided against renting a car, because my road rage would probably be through the roof with the spacey aggressive drivers--perhaps the worst combo.

I know I am really settled in here because when we pulled into Tantur, I let out a deep breath and felt it.

Home.

After a hectic and bustling time at the grocery store, unable to read labels or price tags and almost paying $10 for strawberries (seriously?!?!?!), with 23 lb Ceci strapped to my chest the whole time,  it was sweet relief.  The drive up the hill, the sense of being removed from the chaos of the city, the beautiful land.

I even found myself feeling a lump in my throat at the thought of leaving this place.  My heart has been soothed by the rocky ground, the winter sunshine, and the chance to have a veritable silents retreat at times when no one speaks English, which has been surprisingly often.

I wanted to say another thank-you for those who have (and continue to) send emails, messages and videos for Jacob.  He is doing much better, with extra snuggling and special "dates" every day.  The added attention really comforts his tender heart.

Thank you, also, for those of you who have regularly been leaving comments----Jamie, Theresa, Sharon, Mama Haley and everyone else.  Although I know people regularly read the blog, the comments make me feel like there's a dialogue, that this journey I'm sharing really does show that I want to and bring everyone along with me. 

Well, I'd better be off to warm up!  :)

7 comments:

  1. It's weird how comments are so important. They are to me too. It's so much better than a one way conversation! FYI, I think you are brave. That day in the market would have totally messed with my equilibrium.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're amazing! The grocery trip sounds so disorienting! I'd be so anxious that I'd probably not buy anything and go home and cry!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've read every single post, and I'm not much of a blog person. Your writing is very enjoyable to read!

    -Tom B

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Danielle, I love your blog. I truely feel like I am reading a great novel and can't put the book down. What an amazing experience for you guys. Please tell me Kevin was joking on his facebook about a family trip to Cairo. Keep up the beautiful job on your blog, you have a way of making us feel we are there. Love to you all!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you all! I just realized when re-reading the post that it seemed I was comment-fishing and TOTALLY did not intend it to. I'm just thankful to know that the blog is doing what it's supposed to---share the beauty!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I usually read your blog. We're on our way to Arizona. I enjoy your descriptive writing.
    Candace

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ok Danielle, here is my comment!! :) I love following your trip and your comments about the weather are like some kind of weird therapy for me... this is the first winter I have ever really felt the winter blues. And our sweet little Anabelle is really kicking my butt. So glad to hear you guys are doing well. Your writing takes me back to our trip to Medjugorje every time I read it (no idea why maybe just that it is far away). Anyway know that you are loved from far away!!
    Rosary

    ReplyDelete