Thursday, January 6, 2011

To My Jacob William on Your 5th Birthday 1-2-11


Dear Jacob,

You are my firstborn.

My only son.

My Jacob William, Jakers, Bubby, Jacobacob, Snickerdoodle.

Finding out about your new life was quite the surprise five months after Mommy and Daddy got married.

We fell in love with you before you were born, talking to you, reading to you, singing to you.  Daddy even did some pre-natal catechesis.



Then, after 9 long months of waiting, we prepared for your arrival.

Mommy had to be induced to help you along into the world.  It was important to me to have as natural a labor as possible.  I was given something to help my labor begin and boy oh boy did mama work hard!
However, after 11 hours of pitocin and not a lick of drugs, it was decided that Mama's body needed some extra help.

The doctors went into Mommy's belly and brought you out.

The moment I heard your first cry I yelled:  "My baby!!!"  Tears poured down my face as I sobbed and sobbed and sobbed.
Daddy could not stop laughing he was so overcome.

(Nothing much has changed in that regard to our joy processing :)

Jacob, I am in awe of you every day.  From the time you recognized your letters at 18 months, to memorizing entire books at 2,  to learning how to read at 3.5 to chapter books at 5, you have a brilliant mind.

  I love to watch you process information and revel in the socratic nature of our explorations.  The natural world is a constant source of inspiration for you, calling forth ecstatic praise of everything God made.  Your favorites are sunrises, sunsets and seeing the moon during daytime.

 You have always had a deep love of faith.  Starting Catechesis of the Good Shepherd this year was a huge joy, and you thrive in the self-led aspect of it.  This enthusiasm started long ago.  When you were so young, you loved to play Mass with your chalice and paten.   Daddy's undershirts came in handy for your chausible, and any red book would do for your lectionary and sacramentary.  Sometimes it also got a little dangerous:


Jacob, you LOVE music.




Perhaps it's because Mommy and Daddy have always sing to you, but you have a knack for memorizing songs, and can even hold the melody while we harmonize.

 I guess if you got your wish of having 100 brothers and sisters, we could be the Von Trapps 10 times over.  :)

You love: reading, climbing trees and running amuck in the backyard, playing "joy pirates," Star Wars (though you've yet to see it), house, fireman, police, trains, puzzles, art, writing letters, baking, riding bikes, swimming, snuggling, wrasslin', fort-making, and

Every day you crack us up with some hilarious expression, question or comment.  Recent gems:

       Mommy, thank you for introducing me to The Littles ('80s tv show woot woot)

       Mommy, can I marry Uncle Jimmy?  

       Calling my best friend, leaving a message on the phone and asking for their daughter's hand in        marriage.  (He's totally on a marriage kick)

       What if the whole world were made of markers?

       Mommy, I want a 120 kids.  I want you to have 120 kids.

       It's not fair that you have girls' nights!  It's not fair to the kids and dads.

       After seeing the decorations Auntie put up in the basement for our New Year's party (which was    mostly ladies):   It's an awesome girls night down there!!  It's an awesome girls' night down there!!

I need to start writing these down, because you give us dozens a week!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jacob, You are sassy and sensitive, stubborn and enthusiastic, chatty, solitude-loving, protective, honest, compassionate, interesting, passionate, imaginative.

Jacob William, you are a precious treasure, a sweet and strong little boy who is quickly becoming a young man.   Like your father, you have a large body and a tender heart.  Remember, sweetie, to always be gentle with others--with their hearts, emotions, bodies and minds.  Treat them as you lovingly treat your sissy.

Always remember, dear one, you are deeply loved.

One


Two

Three
\
    
Four

https://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&ik=9bee8c0b27&view=att&th=12d542729fbbba14&attid=0.5&disp=inline&realattid=f_gijngh2m4&zw

FIVE!





1 comment:

  1. We love Jacob; he is such a treasure to us. Also, Lucy shares Jacob's love and keen ability to spot the moon in the daytime sky. Soul mates, I tell ya. By the way, this is Quinn. I have no idea why this keeps saying I'm Melissa!

    ReplyDelete